Western Australia's peak environment group has launched Eco May - a month of community-led events and activities to build community connections around environmental issues across the state.
CCWA's Community Engagement Leade Simone Van Hattem said "During Eco May, individuals and community groups from all over WA are hosting eco-themed activities to have fun, enjoy nature, build awareness and raise funds for the environment."
"This is a great way for people to learn a little about environmental issues and connect with their local community.
"CCWA has been hosting Conservation Week for over a decade, but in the last few years the number of events has become too large for a single week.
"This year we have launched Eco May and the response has been huge - our volunteer team is struggling to keep up!
"Nearly 80 events and activities have already been registered for Eco May."
Just a few examples of the great events that have registered this week include:
- Mosman Park Eco Fair
- Yoga on the beach in Cervantes
- A Walking Tour of Maylands
- A Regional Resource Recovery Centre tour in Canning Vale
- A Working bee at Baigup Wetland
The online event listing is at: http://ccwa.org.au/ecomay2015
"This year we have made it easy for individuals and businesses to host their own activities such as a bush walk with the family, an Eco-themed barbeque with friends, or a lunch-time seminar in the workplace.
"We have also made it easy to incorporate fundraising, so events and activities can really make a difference to the causes they support.
"The CCWA website has some great ideas with easy step-by-step guides for Eco Month activities including:
- Get out in nature with a bush walk, bike ride, kayak or camp-out
- Host a film night for your friends or community
- Host a dinner, barbecue, picnic or party with an environmental theme
- Organise a cleanup at a beach, wetland, or nature reserve
- Take a physical challenge to support your favourite environmental cause
- Or, come up with your very own unique Eco May concept – the sky’s the limit!
Sponsoring Eco May or an Eco May event is a great way for businesses to connect with new audiences.
Media contact: CCWA office (08) 9420 7266
CCWA acknowledges the support of Lotterywest, Replants.com, Zap Electric Bikes and Total Green Recycling for Eco May 2015.