We are seeking an experienced, politically savvy and winning campaigner with a track record of success. This is a major opportunity for the right campaigner to make a globally significant difference in climate change by addressing the fastest-growing pollution source in Australia.
Western Australia is ‘ground zero’ in Australia’s battle against rising pollution. Gas production in WA is the country’s fastest-growing pollution source and WA is the only state with no climate policy or targets for emissions or renewable energy.
Our Clean State campaign has already achieved significant traction and we are looking for a driven campaign leader to build a team to take it to the next stage of success as the WA Government begins consulting on a climate change strategy for the state.
Reports to: Executive Director, CCWA
Hours: Full time including a requirement to work outside of normal work hours at times
Remuneration: Competitive NGO rates- negotiated dependent on skills, experience, and previous track record
You will lead the delivery of the campaign to achieve climate action by industry and government in Western Australia. The campaign is tackling Australia’s fastest-growing source of pollution – the liquid natural gas export industry as part of a broader effort to effort to deliver stronger economy-wide climate change policies here in Western Australia.
- To lead and win the campaign to get major and measurably better policy outcomes on climate change in Western Australia.
- Recruit and manage staff and volunteers to establish a high performing outcomes-focussed team.
- Lead the development of campaign strategy, tactics, narrative and messaging; and continuously review and adjust as necessary to ensure campaign success.
- Initiate and manage the delivery of campaign strategies and tactics including lobbying and political management, community organising and outreach, media and public communications, policy development, grassroots activism, stakeholder engagement, legal strategies and analysis, fundraising, and other aspects of the campaign as required.
- Be an authoritative media spokesperson for the campaign
- Undertake high-level lobbying and engagement with government agencies, ministers and officials in support of the campaign objectives.
The successful candidate will ideally have:
- Demonstrated track record of success in leading advocacy campaigns, preferably in the area of climate change and/or fossil fuel issues
- Keen sense of campaign strategy and drive to make a change
- High level understanding of climate change science, policy, law, economics and politics, preferably at the State Government level
- Thorough understanding of policymaking and decision-making processes in government and political parties
- Proven ability to influence stakeholders from community, business and government at a senior level through to grassroots community
- Experience in media and communications including in traditional and new media, advertising and other communications, an asset
- Experience recruiting for and managing tightly knit and driven teams to success under pressure
- Experience working alongside, and deep understanding of, Aboriginal communities in Western Australia
- Ability to inspire others to action
- Experience in community organising and engagement, an asset
- Experience in corporate campaigning, an asset
Please apply with your CV and a short statement addressing the selection criteria. Regardless of whether you meet all the criteria, we encourage you to apply. Passion, drive are the most important qualities.
The term of this role is negotiable (6 months minimum), and we would be pleased to aid the right candidate with temporary or permanent relocation to Perth.
For further information about this position, or to apply, please email Melissa Wheeler at [email protected] marked: Campaign Director application via CCWA website.
Please apply as soon as possible. The final deadline is November 4 at 5:30 PM.