The AAEE both nationally and in Western Australia seeks to:
- promote environmental education as defined by UNESCO/UNEP
- develop projects for broad application within the field of environmental education
- promote coordination among bodies engaged in environmental education and training
- cooperate and/or affiliate with any other bodies with similar aims for the more effective furtherance of these aims
- promote the cooperation of relevant groups and individuals
- raise funds from its members, from grants or from any other sources for the advancement of environmental education
- publish, distribute, and disseminate matters arising out of and in connection with the Association and environmental education
- hold conferences, meetings, seminars and gatherings to promote environmental education
- publish a journal of environmental education.
These purposes are stated in the constitution of the Australian Association for Environmental Education.