East Metropolitan Regional Council Presents -
Innovative Weed Control Seminar and site tour
The EMRC invites you to attend our FREE Innovative Weed Control seminar and alternative weed management site tour. The aim of the day is to give participants a practical look into methods that are currently used in Perth’s Eastern Region, discuss effectiveness and the challenges faced. The workshop is aimed at people working in landcare, parks and gardens and horticultural areas within local and state government, environmental industry and community sectors.
Date: Friday, 5 May 2017
Time: 8.45am to 4.00pm
Venue: Commences at EMRC - 226 Great Eastern Highway, Belmont 6104
RSVP: Friday, 24 April 2017 by email to [email protected] or via phone (08) 9424 2216.
Please include any dietary requirements as a light lunch will be provided.
Dr Josh Byrne
Dr Josh Byrne is an environmental scientist, author, television presenter and research academic. Josh is well known for his role as the WA presenter on ABC TV’s Gardening Australia program. He is also Director of Josh Byrne & Associates, a multi award winning Fremantle based consulting practice, integrating the fields of landscape architecture, built environment sustainability, media and communications.
Jeremy designs and implements an integrated holistic approach to weed management across urban landscapes, recreational parklands, wetlands and organic horticultural production. He has worked with Sydney Olympic Park, RMS, Sydney Ports and more recently a collaboration with the University of Colorado Boulder. He has developed, patented, manufactured and commercialised the Steamwand method of creating saturated steam for vegetation control.
The seminar and tours will include:
- An introduction to alternative weed management and case studies.
- Josh Byrne: Living with weeds - A big picture approach.
- Jeremy Winer: Steamweed control - Dispelling the myths
- Morning tea.
- Bus tour to Swan Lake, Bayswater
- Conversion to a non-chemical garden
- Dutch Hoe presentation.
- Railway Heritage Trail, Mt Helena
- Steaming to Success - Alternative Weed Management trial
- Steamwand SW700 demonstration
- Scythe demonstration
- Spring Avenue, Middle Swan
- Blackadder Woodbridge Catchment Group site visit
- Solarisation success demonstration
- Mike Norman’s hand tool demonstration
For More information please visit www.emrc.org.au