The Busselton-Dunsborough Environment Centre was initially founded to act as a community voice on local environmental issues and to raise awareness in the wider community on a range of environmental topics. The organisation began in 1992 with a public meeting of concerned individuals which then became the foundation membership.
Currently BDEC continues with its mission of “promoting public awareness and community participation in the care, appreciation and protection of the natural environment” by :
- Publishing a variety of brochures freely available to the public.
- The publication and sale of the book “A Journey into the Ludlow Tuart Forest”.
- Organising and/or hosting events and presentations for the public.
- Participating in a variety of local and regional events
- Providing submissions to local, state and federal government agencies on matters of environmental concern.
- Organising an annual community tree planting day as part of our ongoing Ludlow revegetation project.
- Producing a monthly newsletter
- Maintaining the BDEC website and a Facebook page
- Participating in various shire committees from time to time
- Belonging to a broader network of other environmental NGOs
In addition to the above, we are the governing body of two other organisations which assist us in fulfilling our mission, as well as providing unique services to the local community - the Busselton Dunsborough Volunteers and the Geographe Community Landcare Nursery.
The Busselton Dunsborough Volunteers Centre is a volunteer resource centre which provides services for those interested in volunteering within the local community. The centre primarily provides a referral service for interested volunteers to not-for-profit agencies which rely on volunteers. Individuals or agencies interested in such a service can find out more here.
The Geographe Community Landcare Nursery produces and provides a variety of local native plants for revegetation projects in the local area. Those interested in discovering more about the nursery can find out more here.